Byron Coathup was born and raised in Brisbane and lives and works on the Southern Gold Coast where he runs Maverick Hair and Art Space, and works as an artist, designer and curator. Byron completed a Bachelor of Fine Art  at the Queensland College of Art, Griffith University, Gold Coast, including study abroad at the Alberta College of Art & Design in Alberta, Canada, and a Graduate Diploma in Graphic Design  at RMIT in Melbourne. Byron returned to the warm and sunny Gold Coast in 2012, working as a freelance designer for Gold Coast City Gallery and Bleach Festival, and continuing his active engagement in the Gold Coast creative community. Byron has exhibited in group exhibitions at Testing Grounds (Melbourne), QT Hotel (Gold Coast), Gold Coast City Gallery, Bleach Festival (Gold Coast) and Falls Festival (Byron Bay).
Byron is currently curating SUPER SOUVENIR, in conjunction with City of Gold Coast’s 'Generate' program, for exhibition during the 2018 Commonwealth Games. Byron’s work is multi-disciplinary and his practice is concerned with the cross-overs between art, design and popular culture, often combining mediums that are suggestive of his ideas concerning space and place, and how we might interact with them. His belief that art should be an integral part of our everyday life is the key to his conceptual projects and a driving force in his collaborations. His artworks and installations are often aimed at creating ‘situations’ or ‘experiences’ that reflect the objects and destinations of tourist meccas and perceived holiday utopias like the Gold Coast.
Born: Brisbane, Queensland // 1985
Lives & Works: Gold Coast, QLD. Australia
Exhibitions & Projects:
- 2017 / Solo Exhibition, 'Miami/Miami' The Walls Contemporary Art Space, Miami, QLD.
- 2017 / Public Art Commision in Collaboration with Rebecca Ross, 2970 Degree's Conference (Curated by David Pledger) Gold Coast Arts Centre, Surfers Paradise. QLD.
- 2017 / Group Exhibition, 'An Act of Showing: Rethinking Artist-Run Initiatives Through Place' Curated by Anabelle Lacroix, Testing Grounds, Melbourne. VIC // In collaboration with The Walls Art Space, Miami, Gold Coast.
- 2016 / Group Exhibition, 'Hotelling' Curated by David Pledger & Bleach Arts. QT Hotels, Surfers Paradise. QLD
- 2016 / Group Exhibition, 'Made In QLD: The Culture Shop', (Pop-Up Souvenir Shop) Bleach Festival, Coolangatta, QLD.
- 2016 / Group Exhibition, 'Made In Qld: Ode to the Souvenir', Gold Coast City Gallery, QLD.
- 2014 / Group Exhibition, ‘Fibro Coast’, Gold Coast City Gallery, QLD
- 2012 - 2015 / Public Art Installation and Design, Bleach* Festival, Gold Coast, QLD
- 2010 / Solo Exhibition, 'New Paintings' Picnic Cafe, South Yarra. Melbourne, VIC
- 2008 / Group Exhibition, 'Made in The 80s', Queensland College of Art Graduate Exhibition, Gold Coast City Gallery, QLD
- 2006 / Group Exhibition, ‘Pop Up!’ ACAD, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- 2004 / Group Exhibition, ‘Queensland Ministers Award for Excellence in Art’ Traveling Regional QLD Galleries / QAG, Brisbane, QLD
2017 - Current / Online Group Exhibiton, 'Super Souvenir' Gold Coast, Qld. (Supported by RADF Grant Gold Coast City)
- 2013 - Current / Director and Curator, Maverick Hair & Art Space, Coolangatta, Gold Coast, QLD.
- 2016 / Group Exhibition, 'Made In QLD: The Culture Shop', Bleach Festival, Coolangatta, QLD. Co-Curated with Emma Collerton from Gold Coast City Gallery.
- 2004-08 / Bachelor of Fine Art - Queensland College of Art, Gold Coast, Australia (Major in Painting & Sculpture)
- 2006 (August - December) - Exchange Studies - Fall Semester, Alberta College of Art and Design, Calgary, Canada
- 2011 / Graduate Diploma in Graphic Design, Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT), Melbourne, Australia
- 2015 / MAPDA AWARDS; Museums Australia - Multimedia & Publication Design Awards celebrating excellence in design and communication in the museum and collections sector across Australia. Winner: Exhibition Branding // Project: Fibro Coast // Client: Gold Coast City Gallery
- 2013 / MAPDA AWARDS; Museums Australia - Multimedia & Publication Design Awards. Winner: Multimedia Design Category // Project: ‘Shakin' The Contemporary Kinetic Aesthetic’ Exhibition Online App Catalogue // Client: Gold Coast City Gallery
- 2003 / Queensland Ministers Award for Excellence in Art, Brisbane, QLD
- ' Luxury' 2017 / Gold Coast City Gallery, Surfers Paradise, QLD
- ' Index of Life' 2003 / Brisbane Boys College, Brisbane, QLD